1. What is accreditation?
MQA Accreditation is a formal recognition that a certificate, diploma or degree programme has attained the quality standards and criteria set by MQA and is in compliance with the MQF.
EAC Accreditation is to ensure that graduates of the accredited engineering programmes satisfy the minimum academic requirements for registration as a graduate engineer with the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) and for admission to graduate membership of IEM.
2. Why accreditation is important?
- Accreditation helps students and their parents to choose college programmes.
- Accreditation enables employees to recruit graduates they know are well-prepared.
- Accreditation gives colleges and universities a structured mechanism to assess, evaluate, and improve the quality of thier programs.
- Student are eligible to apply for loan from funding agencies such as National Higher Education Fund (PTPTN).
- Student are eligible to continue thier studies in higher education institutions and obtain credit transfer. However, the final decision lies with the institution concerned.
- Students can be considered for employment in the public sector. In many cases, even private sector employer consider accredited programmes in their selection of graduates for employment.
- Institutions can franchise thier accredited programmes to other institutions, subject to certain conditions.
3. Where do I check whether my programme is accredited?
For engineering programme, you can visit EAC Website (www.eac.org.my), and search for the link “List of Accredited Engineering Programme (Malaysia)”.
For non-engineering programme, you can visit MQA Official Website (www.mqa.gov.my), and search for the link "Malaysian Qualifications Register (MQR)".
4. What is the requirement to register with BEM as Graduate Engineer and how can I apply?
The main requirement to register with BEM as Graduate Engineer is that the person must graduate from a recognized / accredited degree by the BEM. The list of accredited degree for local IHL is provided in the EAC and BEM website. Please visit the www.eac.org.my and www.bem.org.my. You can make an application to register as Graduate Engineer by filling up the Borang A at the BEM website. The procedures for the application is stated in the Borang A.
5. What will happen to our graduate engineer status if the list of accredited degrees changes after BEM joins Washington Accord?
Status quo remains with all accredited programmes by EAC.
6. Are the Master degree holders entitled to register with the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)?
Minimum requirement to be registered with the BEM is having a Bachelor Engineering Degree. Master is for topping up if you are having a non – recognised degree.
7. What is the maximum Credit Exemption required by EAC for the Bachelor of Engineering programme?
The EAC requirement for credit exemption or transfer is NOT exceeding 30% of the total credit for the programme. The University has to ensure that this is adhered or the programme will not be accredited.
8. Where can I check on Provisional Approval for Bachelor of Engineering programmes?
Please be informed that all new programmes will have to complete a cycle before accreditation can be undertaken by EAC/BEM. However, these programmes must obtain provisional accreditation by the Malaysia Qualification Agency (MQA) and approval to conduct the programmes by the Ministry of Higher Education. Please refer to MQA list for provisional accreditation.